Monday, May 25, 2009

Three and a half weeks

Eric Bowlin and his wife, Stephanie welcomed their new baby girl on May 21st. They are the first of a couple of my pregnant friends to deliver. Rachel will be next, on the 28th, to say hello to her daughter. And I still have a few weeks to go. Or do I? I've turned into a walking (waddling) fiend. Every night after dinner, I put on my sneaks and head out the door. Brian has joined me on a few trips. Some evenings are easier than others. Is it possible to walk a baby out of you? I'm determined to find out. At the very least, I'm doing something good for my body. That is something I've been desperate to do for the last eight months.

I've come to realize how much I've let myself go. Granted, weight has never been an issue for me. It's more my physical condition. I used to be the workout queen. Up before dawn, swimming at least a mile before work. All that stopped after the Navy. Can I apologize to my own body? I'm sorry I stopped doing the things you love and replaced it with the sofa and wine and cigarettes. I will be better once the baby is out. Just get me through this delivery and I will love you back into shape. I promise.

This pregnancy isn't the only thing that has me suddenly health-conscious. About a month ago, Brian and I got life insurance. His tests came back a little weird, and we finally got the results on Friday. High cholesterol. It scared me to death. We just got married! You're telling me my husband is at risk for heart disease in his early thirties? Something has to change. I love him too much to ignore it. In with the fruits and veggies. Out with the trips to Burger King. He wondered aloud the other day if he should just get on medication for it. My response? Get thee to the doctor, who will undoubtedly suggest a diet and lifestyle change before sticking him on a lifetime of medication. Brian isn't going to like it, but I'm forcing him off the sofa and out into the world. I'm not ready to lose my husband.

On a happier note, we spent Saturday at the berry farm in Varina. It was the 5th annual Strawberry Fields Festival. It certainly was the most family friendly thing the two of us have ever done. Kids and babies and pregnant women everywhere. Coolers were welcome, and a few people were drinking, but by no means was it the lets-chug-and-get-wasted kind of thing we're used to. It was nice. I packed us a lunch and we brough along our chairs and a blanket. We set up shop under a big tree and spent the day listening to music and watching kids play. Brian even picked some strawberries for us. Given that I've never been berry-pickin', I gave it an honest effort. For about 30 seconds. It just wasn't condusive to Pregnant's mobility. Next year, though. I'll berry-pick him to shame! :-)

That's all the excitement from our corner. Baby's still on the inside. Patience. Must. Find. Patience.

No comments: