Spring is finally here. It's not the warm weather that gave it away, or the high pollen count, or the blooming magnolia tree I saw yesterday. For me, spring equals farmer's markets and they're back in full swing! Richmond has quite a few. My favorite, by far, is the South of the James in Forest Hill Park. Every Saturday morning vendors unload their goodies in one of my favorite neighborhoods in town. I'm super jealous of anyone that lives close enough to walk. Brian and I went a couple of times last year, but I've learned that I can have more fun (dare I type it?) by myself. He just can't get excited about asparagus and radishes.
This morning, I made my way to the 17th Street market downtown. I found some nice Romaine lettuce, which is going to make awesome Caesar salads for dinner tonight. I completely flipped out over the strawberries at Amy's Garden. What more could you want out of life? I'm going to make my first attempt at homemade shortcakes for our dessert this evening. Yum! I just hope my husband can appreciate the effort. He's in love with the standard-issue sponge cake variety you can pick up at any grocery store. Good, but I can do better. Three huge tomatoes also found their way into my bag. They're not in season quite yet, but I made homemade bread recently and instantly thought about slicing those bad boys up and eating tomato sandwiches. There were list of other things I wanted to spend money on, but I was a good girl and stuck to my budget.
In other, non-foodie news, my doctors appointment yesterday went well. Miss Virginia has officially dropped. Dr. Lucas even said she might be a little early. That's when I told him that I love him. We're on a once-a-week visitation schedule now. Luckily, my weight seems to have tapered off (thank you, Jesus!). Dr. Lucas sent me away armed with his pager number, instructions on when to go to the hospital, and hope that the end is finally near! Maybe today I'll try to pick out which bottle of wine we'll open to celebrate her arrival....Mmmmmm......wine.
It seems like the holiday weekend is going to be gorgeous. We don't have any plans yet. I'm thinking maybe a picnic by the river. Brian didn't seem too enthused about the idea when I mentioned it this morning, though. Sigh. My husband is a lot of things, but romantic isn't one of them. Gotta love him.
Well folks, that's all I have for now. I need to try to find the recipe for those shortcakes. Hope everyone has a great weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment