Welcome to the world of the stay at home mom. I know I'm not officially a mother yet, but let's not get hung up on technicalities. I wasn't sure how I would like not working. It's been a week, and I have nothing to complain about. I've gotten quite a bit accomplished from my list. I'm thinking about adding some things. Then again, I'm (almost!) nine months pregnant. Who needs a to-do list when there are naps to be had?
Last Friday, I organized the closet in Virginia's room. It took a lot longer than I expected. I'm not sure how we've managed to accumulate so much stuff. Especially living in a two bedroom apartment. The spare room used to be a catch-all. Don't know where to put it? Throw it in the spare bedroom! About half-way through the organization war path, I realized we need a house. My Christmas decorations still take up the bulk of the closet. So much so that I'm considering getting a small storage space. We'll have to wait and see.
We spent Saturday afternoon at Jeff and Beth's house for a baby-frenzy cook-out. Good times! Brian's good friends Dan and Meg were there, as well as Ted and Katie, and Courtney and Aaron. Three toddlers and one very pregnant Kelly Sue probably convinced Dan and Meg that there's plenty of time to spend together before taking the plunge into parenthood! I love hanging out with everyone, though. It's nice to be around people who are in the same place in life as Brian and me. The light at the end of the tunnel, you know?
I woke up early on Sunday and drove to Newport News to spend Mother's Day with my mom. She mentioned a few weeks ago that she wanted a lounge chair for her back patio. I got her two hanging flower pots, a bird feeder with seed, and the chair. She was thrilled. We spent the morning sweeping off her patio and hanging her gifts, then we sat for a while and enjoyed the fruits of our labor. She called me last night to tell me, again, that she was thoroughly enjoying her presents. Job well done, Kelly Sue! I took her out to lunch and headed back to Richmond for dinner with Brian's mom, Rhonda. She chose to have us over to her house for a little cook-out instead of going out to eat. Brian and I stopped on the way for some steaks and flowers for her. Here's the big surprise....Brian cooked the steaks and they were wonderful! Perfectly seasoned. For those of you unaware of my husband's culinary abilities, let's just say this was a complete shocker! I'm filing it away as another reason for getting a house. Brian cooking ME dinner for a change on a grill.
The new week brought a house guest. One of my best friends, Lance, was in town for work at MCV and stayed with us a few nights. He brought some bittersweet news with him. He's accepted a job in Palm Springs. It's a great opportunity, and I know he's going to love it in California. On the selfish side, this puts all of my best friends on the west coast. Looks like I'm going to have to get used to flying. I'm super happy for him, though. If a little sad. Funny how stuff like this makes you realize that you have taken time with friends for granted.
I finally got our wedding pictures up on the wall in the hallway. It only took a year for me to get that taken care of! They look great. Or, looked great. I put them up on Tuesday afternoon. That evening, Lance and I walked into the apartment and the chaos with the dogs resulted in one of the frames crashing to the floor. Glass broken. Angry pregnant woman. It should have been an easy fix. I took the frame to Lowe's and had a new piece of glass cut. When I got home, I realized that the glass was cut to fit the back piece of the frame, not the front. The glass is about two centimenters too long and that prevents the back piece from fitting. Grrrrrrr! I blame myself. I should have checked it before paying for it. Lesson learned. It's still not fixed, though. Maybe Monday.
That pretty much sums up my first week of freedom. We head to the Shennandoah Valley tomorrow for Amber's wedding. I'm sure it will be beautiful. Hopefully the rain will hold off until the evening. I'll try to post some pictures. On the baby front, only four and a half weeks left! It's starting to hit Brian. He often says, "Holy crap. We're going to have a baby in here in a few weeks." She can't get here fast enough....I'm ready to share some of the baby responsibility. And I'm already contemplating which bottle of wine I'll open to celebrate!
No comments:
Post a Comment