Thursday, July 17, 2008

New job?

I've told you all about my boss' less-than perfect behavior, and the crazy rumor mill that is Stool Pigeons. Two days ago, I came into work and said hello to Frank. He was very curt in his response. He immediately asked if he could have a word with me.

Frank then told me there was a nasty rumor going around that I had taken pictures of his parking lot with my phone. Which I have not, and would not, because this thing will reveal itself. He said he couldn't believe that I would do that to him, given how "generous I've been with you, being patient while you figured out what you wanted to do." Also that it would be very disrespectful and what he does is HIS business and no one else's. There was something in his tone and body language that was very, very threatening. I simply told him that I hadn't taken pictures. He then said I needed to find out who was spreading this rumor and address them. Here's the deal....

That rumor isn't about ME. And I really don't care who's spreading it, or who it gets to. Because I didn't do anything wrong. If there was no truth to it, you wouldn't have threatening conversations with me, and Maria wouldn't have to put in her two weeks. I don't know who told or how. I don't care. And I'm not going to be threatened by you. I lost what little respect I had for him the moment we had that last conversation. Worked with Maria last night and she completely ignored me.

My resume is all over downtown Richmond. I got a call back from The Hard Shell yesterday. A girl I used to work with is now a manager there, so I think I might start training next week. Just have to wait to do the interview with the general manager when he gets back from vacation.

I really, really want to address this situation with Matt, our district manager. I honestly feel threatened. Frank has no right to imply that I've not been a valuable employee. The fact of the matter is, I've worked NUMEROUS hours for them without clocking in, so that he doesn't have to pay overtime. Illegal and stupid on my part. I'm also the only other person besides him who understands that restaurant. I could and have managed the bar, the servers, and the kitchen. I've stayed even after he called me "the worst of his managers" in front of other employees. I've stayed after he left his evaluation sitting out on the desk in the office over a long weekend. The first line of that evaluation said "I have to say I'm surprised and disappointed in the way things have worked out with Kelly." Any one who went into the office could see it. I've worked every holiday without complaint. I rarely request off. And he threatens me???? Suggesting that I basically owe my experience to HIM and should shut up because of it??? I don't know how to address this situation, but I've found myself in a hostile work environment.

My hours have been cut in half. All this right before I have to pay my tuition. How lovely. I can't quit until I have another job. I don't want to be the one to bear this responsibility, but I feel like I have to now. Any and all advice welcome.

No comments: