Case in point...This evening, the section I worked was empty for the majority of the evening. Every table ordered, at least, an appetizer, entree, and drink. Average ticket was $175. Average ticket at Stool Pigeons...$30. Welcome to a whole new world, Kelly Sue.
We close at 11 on the weekends. I'm home, typing this, at midnight. Stoolies is still open, and right now the kitchen is slammed with orders for chicken wings "fried hard, shorty, and can I get a Strong Island?" They have two more hours of this to go before last call, and another three hours after that before they leave.
Everyone I work with is passionate and knowledgeable about food. Every guest is excited to be there. Every employee is there to help everyone else. I am on day two of my new job. And I am in love. So much so that I will give you this....http://www.thehardshell.com. Check it out.
And by the way, the WOMAN CHEF that started (and is part owner) also graduated from the school I start in August. I met her Thursday. The staff seems to dislike her. I, on the other hand, am in awe of what she's accomplished. Google "Richmond Restaurant Group" if you are curious. We are not her only restaurant. I am where I need to be. I am where I want to be. I am excited, encouraged, and home. And it feels great!
On a different note... new favorite wine. Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc. Not to sweet, not too dry. It's from New Zealand. Don't be put off by the screw cap. Lots of vineyards are moving towards these for various reasons. Let's talk flavors....YUMMY! Check it out. I refuse to be a wine snob and write about "finishes, and hints of grapefruit," and all that jazz. It's good. Try it.
"The wines that one best remembers are not necessarily the finest that one has ever tasted, and the highest quality may fail to delight so much as some far more humble beverage drunk in more favorable surroundings."
H. Warner Allen
No comments:
Post a Comment